Sunday 5 April 2009

Merton Musty and friends


Ger Apeldoorn has recenly discovered some really rare newpaper strips by Disney animators on Newspaperarchive.com.
The announcement was made over at Strippers Guide three days ago and I just downloaded two pages to share with you. The Comics page began in the Redwood Journal Press-dispatch on April 19,1950 and the last I've found is from May 1951. By 1951 the line up has changed a little, with Bob Karp doing a panel etc.
I guess Ger will show more on his blog. But here are Pepe by Will, Holly Wood by Gil Turner, Milford, Pam by Gus Jekel, Life With A Wife, Merton Musty by Dick Moores, Sleepy Holler by Jerry Hathcock, Animal Antics by Bob Dalton, Sidetrack by Dick Shaw...


Anyone with more info on this?

3 comments:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Hi,

I was wondering how to show mine, but I gues whole pages works as well. I'll start tuesday. And I'll certainly look for the later ones I missed.

You don't mention Tom Ray. Could that be animator Tom Ray, who is stil living and was old enough to have been in WWII?

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Milford is singed on some pages, by the way. In very small lettering we see Wes Campbell, which doesn't mean anything to me/ To me Gus Jekel and Dick Shaw are the absolute stars, though it's great to find an unknow Dick Moores strip.

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

The April 19 edition of the Redwood Journal Press-dispatch announces the new comics on the front page. So it ran for over a year. Impressive for such an uneven line up as this.

I've never heard of any Tom Ray before you mentioned him. Please try to get in touch with him to see what he's got to say about this.